Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tardy Bell

Mornings take forever and a day to get started- this is something I'm quickly finding out with two little bodies to get ready so early in the morning. Before, when it was just Jude and I, and we didn't have any place to be at any set time, time was never an issue. Now I'm always rushing around and running out of time- and this cold weather isn't helping much.

At least during the heat, it was as easy as throwing a simple t-shirt, shorts and flip flops on the Tiny Tornado and stuff a barefoot Baby Mochi into her car seat in just a little onesie or t-shirt and underpants- but now with all of this cooler weather, we run about an extra 20 minutes behind. 

Getting Tiny Tornado dressed has become a constant negotiation. As if just getting him into regular clothing, like pants and a shirt, isn't a battle of the wills much of the time anyways- adding all of these extra layers and accessories like sweatshirts and coats and hats have just made it even more challenging. Then baby girls wear all sorts of extra stuff- like tights and socks over the tights and boots over the socks, then a jacket and a little hat....

Tack on another 30 minutes to our already crunched mornings. I guess it would be easier if I didn't take the time to make sure that their little outfits and stuff were coordinated and looked cute, and were weather appropriate, but I just don't have it in me to not care about that kind of stuff. It's a mom thing. It must be so easy to be a dad and float around oblivious to this kind of detail.

No wonder they can never understand what the big deal is.

Today I was actually doing really well with time. I was determined to get Jude to school on time and looked like it was going to happen. 

Got up at 6 with Mochi, who kind of slept through the night thanks to our new strategy to get her to sleep longer, and was ready to start the day.

I managed to convince Jude that wearing the new coat that Mimi got him for our trip to Taos to school was a great idea. Even convinced him to wear his new boots and little gloves since it's freezing outside this morning. He wore them all around the house, ate his breakfast in them and chattered away about how he was going to show "the kids" (as he calls the kids at school) his "warm red hands and cool new coat" (he said).

I thought in the back of my head that this was way too easy, but brushed it off figuring that I got lucky today and celebrated my little victory to myself. 

High five to ME! 

Unfortunately I made a couple of critical mistakes:

A.) I had tried these things on him before I'd actually gotten him dressed- so when I realized I had to take it all off to put on his clothes, he was thrown completely out of sorts and couldn't accept the fact that he couldn't just go to school as he was: in his coat and boots and gloves and underwear.

B.) After I managed to settle him down and peel these off of him and get his clothes on, I switched to Baby Mochi to get her dressed and allowed too much time to lapse between having the coat and hat and gloves on Jude, therefore his interest in them dissolved and he no longer wanted to wear them.

C.) Got Baby Mochi dressed in tights, long-sleeved onesie, socks, booties, coat and hat and went to stuff her like an olive into her car seat- forgetting that I had not checked her diaper since earlier in the morning until I smelled it. Gross. Undressed baby's layers and got to cleaning her up, only to discover as I finished redressing her that Jude had taken all of his clothes back off and had decided he didn't want to wear anything to school.

Oh, and that he wasn't going to school either. 

Collected clothing, which was scattered around the living room and wrestled him back into clothing. Attempted to nicely convince him to put on coat and boots, meeting arguing, whining and adamant protesting. Finally resorted to using my "Mean Mommy" voice, which worked, but made him cry and made me feel like shit.

Hugs. Gentle explanation. Feeling better now. Got him to get his arms into the coat- then he freaked out and didn't want to wear that coat. "No! Not this coat! 'Noboard coat! 'Noboard coat!"

("Noboard coat" = Snowboard coat)

Put on his "Noboard coat" and was met with him whining and wriggling out of it, "No! Not this coat! New coat! NEW coat!"

WTF?!

Once again, late, late late for school.


Ready for school.


Patiently waiting to get the show on the road, watching her brother wear me ragged. 

LIKE MY BLOG? CLICK BELOW TO VOTE FOR ME!
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory