Saturday, November 12, 2011

Friends

It's Saturday night and I'm stoked to be hanging out with my Friends. Not my actual real-life friends though- I'm talking about Ross, Rachel, Monica, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe. I discovered about a week ago that Nick at Night plays Friends reruns every night at 10... for like 2 hours. I'm hooked. There's this whole chunk of Friends lore that I missed back in the 90s because I was out every night doing God knows what and smoking everything but my socks. Man, I was missing out. Friends is funny stuff!

It's also starting to interfere a bit with how early I should really be going to sleep, but it's ok. I don't follow Primetime sitcoms, but boy oh boy if some syndicated classics before bed late night isn't a nice little nightcap before hitting the hay.

Most TV- about 99% of what's on- is crap to me. I usually resort to watching movies or re-watching old episodes of the Sopranos, Sex and the City (the HBO versions, not the diluted, rated PG versions on TBS or E! that cut out all of which that made the show so funny) and whatever gratuitously sexual and violent HBO show du jour I'm sucked into, when and if I turn the TV on.

My TV stays off all during the day and doesn't come on until 6 to watch the news. In the past, I tried checking out some daytime television... and I just don't see how anyone can stomach the trash that is on TV before 6 p.m. Corporate news- BARF. Soaps and reality shows- BLEUGH. I am so sick of hearing about the Kardashian people that I could take our collective culture by the shoulders and give it a good hard shaking. I could give a shit about Kim Kardashian and I feel like I lose a few brain cells anytime I even say the word KARDASHIAN.

Kardashian. Whoops. There goes an entire semester of college right there.

You grow up hearing about stay at-home moms who watch soaps and Kathy Lee. I just don't get the appeal there.

I tried The View once, but the sound of a bunch of women sitting around a table talking over each other and arguing their opinions that early in the day gives me a feeling that rivals brain freeze and getting my finger slammed in a door. I wish I could get paid to sit around and flap my jaw about opinions that no one cares about on topics that most people could care about even less.

I mean, I guess that's ultimately what blogging is- but I don't get paid for it. And you can't hear my voice when I get really heated so you don't have to actually listen to me. You don't want to, and I don't blame you.

I'm thinking that the conclusion is that everything on TV is annoying before lunchtime, which is usually about the time of day when I finally start operating like a normal, functioning human being. I'm on the decaf- remember?

So by the time I flop my tired bag of weary bones into bed at the end of my day, usually around 10, I'm beat and ready to lay around and be worthlessly horizontal.

I get a little excited to watch reruns of Friends now- which is probably lame, but I don't care because this is the kind of thing that you start looking forward to after you've spent the evening feeding, cleaning and wrangling small people- meaning your children, not dwarves or elves or midgets, although I'd imagine they'd probably run you pretty ragged too since they can't reach things on shelves or elevated surfaces.

So it's utopia- that moment that I put on my glasses, heave a big sigh, settle into my pillows, get comfortable with my cat, check the double baby monitor action I have running on my night stand, take a sip of water and click on the TV and hang out with my Friends.

Then Taylor comes in, tries to act like Friends isn't funny to him, but winds up snickering along next to me in bed. Anyone who says that Friends isn't funny or clever is lying. They just don't want to admit that they like it.

I'm a little disturbed by the fact that Friends is on Nick at Night. When I was a kid, Nick at Night was for reruns of things like Bewitched, My Three Sons and Lancelot Link Secret Chimp. Does anyone remember those shows? Well, they were from the late 60s. They were oldies. Nick at Night was the oldies TV station.

Now Friends is an oldie. Does that make me an oldie? I'm thinking more now that that makes the cast of Friends oldies, which is reassuring, because they are about 10 years older than me so I've got some good years left before I get to that point.

I've realized that the Friends were all in their mid to late 20s and early early 30s when the show was on. I never thought about their ages when the show aired- and it kind of baffles me to think that they were the age I am now back then. They always seemed ageless to me, but now that I'm that age, I'm jarred by the idea of what that time lapse represents in my own life. Yikes.

Four thoughts on Friends before I abandon my blog to run off and catch up on my reruns downstairs:

A.) Jennifer Aniston was a whole lot cuter with her "deviated septum" nose back when she was on Friends.
B.) I can see why she wound up being the biggest star out of the show. She is hilarious as Rachel.
C.) I love Monica and Ross
D.) Joey, Chandler and Phoebe are annoying, but the show wouldn't function without them.

I don't have pictures to share today. It's been a pretty low key Saturday. Sometimes there's just no point in snapping pictures of your every day details, or posting photos of the kids and family just to post them.


Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory