Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Favorites

Anyone who owns a cat knows that people don't choose cats- cats choose people. They aren't like dogs. They don't crave and need everyone's approval and attention all the time. They have no interest in pleasing people and doing what is expected or desired of them. They don't care to be controlled or told what to do. They think for themselves rather than blindly jumping on command. Order them to do something or not do something and they'll sit and think about it for a bit before ultimately telling you to stick it up your ass (in so many words).

That's what many people who don't appreciate cats independent spirits dislike the most about them. That's exactly what I appreciate the most about them. I admire and appreciate and respect that kind of independent spirit.

When and if they decide they like you, you are a special chosen one and must adhere to their affection or face being subjected to them forcing themselves on you when you want it the least. When and if they decide you are their favorite, you become the lucky recipient of a unique kind of love and affection unmatched by any other living creature. I feel sorry for people who have never allowed themselves to surrender to the attentions of a feline.

I adopted my cat Niles as a kitten when I was 21 years old. I was living by myself, working full time and just enjoying being young, single, independent and free. He was a great roommate, until he got me evicted from my townhouse by wrestling with the living room window blinds like a psycho and getting me busted for having him since technically I had smuggled him in under a "no pets" clause on my lease.

He was worth the embarrassment of getting served eviction papers while I was at work though. I love my big sexy guy and he loves me. Not too shortly afterwards, I hooked up with my now husband Taylor. They didn't exactly hit it off right away- out of sheer jealousy, Niles used to destroy Taylor's shoes by tearing them apart with his razor kitten teeth and back bunny claws when he'd stay at our new apartment- but over time, they learned to co-exist, and even become buddies, after I moved us into Taylor's condo not more than 3 months after we started dating.

Over time he has had to adjust to a revolving door of both permanent and temporary changes such as: a roommate of ours who was allergic to cats, another cat turned ally/best friend/girlfriend D'Arcy, another roommate with a male cat of his own, a gigantic puppy turned dog sibling, 5 moves into new houses, and two new human babies to compete with for attention. I have a dog and another cat- whom I love very much- but I can't lie. Niles is and always will be my favorite- and I, his.

Lately, though, he has taken a liking to Baby Mochi- and this couldn't please me more. Niles doesn't really like anybody besides me, and sometimes Taylor if he's in the mood. Middle-aged male house cats are a lot like middle-aged men: he's stuck in his ways and stubborn as hell.

He spent the past almost 3 years doing everything in his power to avoid Jude, despite my hopes to have my number one guy (sorry Taylor! LOL!) snuggle up to my little boy- he avoids him like the plague, goings so far as to literally hide until Jude goes down for bed- then POOF! Magically resurfaces moments after Jude's bedroom door closes.

Little boys are rough. They pull tails. They scream in cat's faces and want to chase them around. This isn't really Niles' style. I'm guessing that since Jude is also another male to compete with for my attention, he feels some sort of resentment towards him. I don't blame him really. It's got to be rough for pets to accept being knocked down a few notches on the family totem pole. That may sound mean- but it's just what happens. It doesn't make you love your beloved pets any less.

Anyways- Niles is all about Mochi. He follows us around the house, sits next to us when she nurses, camps out on the blanket on the floor with us during picnic playtime, hangs out making figure 8s around my ankles when I'm standing holding her. He lets her grab his face and pull his fur and whiskers and yank on his tail- purring away and coming back for more. It baffles me.

I don't even know him anymore when he acts like this with her, but I sure do like this new guy. I wouldn't mind one bit if he made her his new favorite. Really. I think she is everyone's new favorite in our house anyways.


Grouchy middle-aged male house cat has gotten in touch with his softer side.


BFF


Lounging around teasing the baby with his tail- they're favorite game.






Letting her lay on him. Who is this guy? 


Even Niles isn't tough enough to resist this baby.


I. Love. Him.

LIKE MY BLOG? CLICK BELOW TO VOTE FOR ME! 
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory