Monday, November 7, 2011

Girl's Night OUT

So much for blogging every day for national blog posting month. I don't think the weekends should count, particularly when I actually get a girl's night out on a Saturday. I get a blogging pass when I actually get a night out- and this is because it takes me an entire 2 days to pull my brain out of my ass and recover. I don't see how I used to party like I once did and still manage to wake up and make it to a full time job the next morning, then go out and do it all over again after work.

The hangovers I get now are rare- because I don't ever go out- and 10 billion times rougher- but they are hard-earned and I am grateful for them as I soldier through, because feeling like crap like that means I've gotten something out of my system that I don't want or need again for a healthy chunk of time, thus reminding me of how good it feels to not feel like crap.

Saturday night was a good night to go out because of the time change. I saw that extra hour gained as a tip in my favor on my much needed night "off."

I left the husband in charge of our babies after we put them down for bed, arming him with a couple of bottles in case the baby woke up.

I instructed him on what to do in the middle of the night should duty call, and his first response was, "Well, won't you be back by then to do it?" He was dead serious.

I won't get into the details of the tirade that was my answer to that absurdity- but I'll just say it was a whole lot of shoving down his throat exactly what it is that I do every other single night of the week and that he could handle burning the midnight oil for once and give our baby a damn bottle and let me get some sleep.

And wouldn't you know it? The one night that I can give him taste of the sleep deprived delirium that I wake up and get up to take care of every night while he saws logs in our bed- Mochi slept until almost 5:30 and Taylor wound up getting a pass and it kind of pisses me off.

Yes, I wish sleep-deprived delirium on my husband. Is it too much to ask that he get a taste- just a taste of middle of the night duty?

So, when I go out, I go all out. Kind of like when I break down and stray from my Paleo diet. If I'm going to eat dessert- I'm going to eat a half dozen cupcakes instead of just one. I spend my days orchestrating so much control over my little ecosystem in my home with my babies and husband and pets and household- trying my hardest to keep my tight ship afloat and running smoothly- that when the opportunity arises to go out and be the other version of myself- the version of the woman that I am aside from being a mom and a wife, as all mothers and wives have- I revel in it for as long as possible and allow myself to lose (a reasonable amount of) control and unwind and let go for a few hours.

Kind of like with yoga- but with alcohol, loud music, lots of talking and dancing and laughing and high heels.

My two amazing sister in-laws were in town this weekend and it is always epic fun when I actually get the two of them with me at the same time. One lives in California and the other in Dallas- so it's a treat and rarity to get them both in the same place. I never had sisters, so it's a lot of fun to have my "little sisters" in town to do girl stuff with me.

We met up with a group of friends of mine- more than half of whom also have babies and small children- all of whom also got passes to go out that night. Can I just say that I love these girls? They are friends that I made in adulthood- girls I met through my husband and his friends (most of whom have gone from their girlfriends to their wives and mothers of their children with me over the years) and I've gotten really attached to them. We have something very solid in common- and that's our husbands and our babies and years of shared vacations and holidays and football watching parties and get togethers, weddings (and bachelorette parties! woot woot!), births and dinners... GOOD stuff.

It takes a lot for me to get close to people anymore. I think you learn as you get older not to go around thinking you can trust and rely on just any "girlfriend" you make. These girls won me over 10 fold a long time ago.

People are making all of these FB posts about things they are thankful for this month.

Today, I am giving a shout out "thank you" to this kick ass group of ladies that I call "girlfriends!"

We had been planning Girl's Night Out since OU/TEXAS, after realizing that we never get to all get out together- without our husbands. The older I get the more I appreciate night's out with just the girls. It means so much more now that it ever did in my 20s. Especially when you can go out to a club and enjoy good dance music where you don't have to worry about getting hit on by guys who want to bump all up on you from behind while you are trying to dance with your girlfriends.

Thank you, universe, for safe havens like the COPA.

The energy was so good that night that it even made the ground shake. Literally! I felt my first earthquake ever that evening while we were at NOVA for dinner. It was THRILLING! I of course thought of my babies when it happened, but was comforted knowing that their dad was home to take care of things. I keep a locket with photos of my babies in it for nights that I get to go out- and when I make trips to the ladies room or have the chance to show someone who has never seen them before, their shining little faces are right there with me. I carry them everywhere!


Yay!


My beautiful little sisters!


I don't know who that girl is behind us, but apparently she really wanted to be in our photo.







LIKE MYBLOG? CLICK BELOW TO VOTE FOR ME!







Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory