Monday, August 22, 2011

Cold Eggs

As most everyone knows, every year on Christmas day the movie "A Christmas Story" is on 24/7, and I have to watch it no matter what. Usually at least 3 or 4 times. It's not Christmas to me without it. This past Christmas day, when we were on route to Hawaii, it was my first Christmas that I can remember not having watched it. Anyways, one of the more memorable scenes in that movie (as there are too many to count), is a scene where Ralphie, his dad and his little brother Randy are at the dinner table, while their mother is serving them and cooking. Every time she sits down to eat, someone needs something or something comes up to prevent her from getting to take a bite. The narrator states that his mother had not eaten a hot meal in over 15 years. That always resonated in my mind, and I think it's because I've grown up watching my own mother prepare meals and feed my family- always the last to sit down and make herself a plate, and even then, she's always getting up to grab anything anyone needs- not just when we make mention of, let's say, more rice or a new fork because ours has fallen on the floor. Her mom radar goes off and before we even budge to get up, she's out of her chair and getting whatever we need- shoo'ing us away if we try to object and do it ourselves. I really think that she subconsciously waits to be needed for these things. That's what a good mom does. I think my brother and dad and I have always taken this overt willingness in her to take care of us at mealtime for granted- I know I used to. But I get this concept now as a mother- because it's happening to me with my kids and my husband.

Hot meals are becoming a thing of the past. I really realized this the other day when I finally sat down to eat the veggie and egg scramble with salsa and tons of habanero sauce breakfast I made, after Taylor and Jude had finished eating their breakfasts. Right when I literally opened my mouth to take a bite... "WHAAAAA!" Baby Viv starts crying. This was the third day in a row that she has stalled my ability to eat breakfast. Day 3 of cold eggs.

Baby Viv hates it when I get to eat. She always needs me or can't handle being in an apparatus right at that moment I finally sit down, relax into my seat and pick up my fork. Taylor and I always laugh at this- it's so predictable. Every time. Jude can either eat so fast that he's off and running and getting into something he's not supposed to by the time I get to eat, or he's made such a huge mess that it must be cleaned immediately to save sticky messy cheesy saucy handprints on furniture, toys and walls.

Husbands can be helpful, don't get me wrong- but they aren't Mommy, and mommies are the ones that fix crying babies and make a toddler's meal more exciting or appealing to eat. Not only that- and this is very domesticated housewife for me to say (Me from 5 years ago would kick my ass if she heard me say this)- but after the time and care that I take in making meals for my family, it's more important to me to have my husband enjoy a hot meal than it is for me. It's more important to me to make sure my kids are tended to and happy than it is for me to have hot food. I don't mind waiting to eat and I don't mind eating not-as-fresh of food (that and partially because the control freak in me would rather correct an issue with the children myself so that I know it's executed in the most effective and efficient way possible!). In theory, it seems frustrating and disheartening to have to eat cold food, but in reality, it's a no brainer. That's what microwaves are for. I'm convinced that a mother had to have come up with the concept of the microwave for this very reason.

"A mother is a person who upon seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie."


                                                                         In other news:


Awesome consignment store find: baby girl hippie pants, Viv's new go-to outfit. She now wears them with pretty much everything, even if it doesn't really match. Most of the time though, it's just the pants with no shirt so that her cute little body rolls have room to breath.


Car spy hideouts for Jude's racing team. Nothing like a drawer full of tupperware and some imaginative encouragement while you're in the kitchen to keep a busy little body happily occupied.


New flower head band I made for Viv, debuted at the Norman Public Library for music time. It was there while I was nursing her (with a cover up, as I am not the type of nursing mother who whips it out for all to see) that I was "congratulated" for breastfeeding my baby by another mother- a very bohemian-like hippie mother, who was more than eager to inform me that she had just weaned her own child off of breastfeeding... her 4 year old child who breastfed until he was 3 and a half. Now, do random women come up to you to congratulate you on breastfeeding because they really give a crap that you too are breastfeeding, or do they confront you because they are really just so eager to share the fact that they breastfed their child until the child was speaking in complete sentences, tying their shoelaces, eating meat and learning to read? I'm guessing the latter. Sounds to me like someone still needs a little closure with breaking off the breastfeeding relationship she has with her kid.



Euphoria! I found coconut milk ice cream-like dessert at the new Natural Grocers in Norman. Not exactly on my Paleo diet, but it's dairy and soy free- and we've replaced all dairy and soy products with coconut milk and coconut products, so why not? Taylor and I were like kids on Christmas morning when I got home with this stuff. In moderation though! Everyone needs a treat every once in awhile! 


My leggo building skills are improving- I can make a pretty mean "Tokyo Tower," which Jude now insists I build at least once a day with him. I've started adding cardboard cut out ramps and incorporating little nooks for spy hideouts in them, which he loves. He gets engulfed in playing with them, and I can hear him chattering away at himself, narrating little stories and scenarios he's come up with for his Cars, which is like the best thing EVER to hear. Then the tower lasts about a day before he destroys it like Godzilla- which disappoints the hell out of me sometimes, because I spend so much time building them with him... but isn't that half the fun? I remember having a dollhouse as a kid that I would spend hours meticulously placing every tiny accessory and piece of furniture in... only to stage an F5 tornado or burglary soon afterwards and ransack the entire thing- so I get the appeal. It's a creative way to start all over.


Notice Daddy in the background asleep on the couch after work. NICE. Mommies don't get to pass out on the couch for a nap while children are awake because the work doesn't end, even after the little ones are in bed! (am I right or am I right???)


Car "traps."

Zzzzzzzzzz.


My handsome hubby with Viv in her fantastic pants. Notice where Viv is losing her precious baby hair. I too am starting to lose my hair- handfuls of hair. Gobs of hair. So much that I feel like I am going to go bald every time I brush my hair or take a shower. This is normal after having your baby, since you don't lose any hair while you are pregnant- but it doesn't make it any less freaky when it happens. Between the baby, me and my dog and cats who are shedding like crazy because of this heat, my house is one big scary hairy disaster area. Ew!