Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Things

The past few days it's been all about enjoying some of the smaller details in my day to day. Like headbands, for example. I've always thought that some of the bows and headbands I see on baby girls are a little ridiculous. I mean, really. Some of them are over the top ridiculous. Some of them are so ridiculous that it takes you an extra look-see to find the baby buried beneath the in-your-face obnoxious blossom on the baby's head. Then you wonder if the super cute headband doesn't take a bit away from the super cute baby it is housed on... which is just too bad for the baby, to be out shined by a flashy accessory.

I was really at battle with myself internally when we discovered that we were going to have a little girl. Next to calling my mother to tell her the great news, my next thought was, "To big bow, or not to big bow?" But despite my struggle, I have surrendered to the girlie Gods. I'm no match. There's just something that happens to even the ungirliest of girls when you have yourself a baby girl. Vivienne is bringing out this whole inner girlie girl in me that I didn't even know was in there. BUT- I have my limits. And I have my style. I wouldn't put anything on my baby that I wouldn't be caught dead in... um... if I were a baby. And could dress myself and pick out my own accessories I guess.

I'm seeing that there are different styles of baby headbands that seem to coincide with the different styles of moms out there. It sounds silly, but it's true. It also sounds a little superficial- to accessorize your baby girl's accessories to match your own style as a mom- but it's also true. We're all just little girls grown up playing dress up with our human baby dolls. Sweet- but a little creepy. I'll take that.

Pretty much all of the stuff I've found to buy in stores, me no likey. So I got on Etsy and found a whole bunch of super cute stuff that was more my style- only to realize that for the money I would pay for someone else to make cute headbands for my baby, I could go to Hobby Lobby, spend a little more, and make a bunch with my own two hands. What started out as a little project to make Viv one headband has turned into a nice big messy project on my kitchen countertop, and Viv will have a whole line of new headbands to wear this fall. Making her headbands makes me excited for this whole new world of possibilities I have now as being a mother to a little girl. So fun!

Although a good sport, she eventually grew tired of me holding patterns and buttons and lace and different colored wool felt up to her head. Here she is in the fabric department where she bailed on the creative process and left me to fend for myself.


Gigantic flower hat headband. It's the ridiculous size that I was speaking of, but a design that I can handle being so ridiculously big because I'm torn between dying laughing at it and loving it at the same time.

I wanted to make her one reminiscent of the Alice in Wonderland theme in her room. I think she looks properly accessorized for a crazy tea party. Mission accomplished.

In other news, the Paleo diet is going well. It's been a week and a half, Taylor and I have both lost 5 lbs. and we would both kill for some Taco Bueno, a bowl of ice cream or hell, even a damn slice of cheese. I haven't had bread or dairy in almost 2 weeks. I feel great but for someone who used to be a gigantic cheese whore, I have moments when I feel as if I might sell my soul for a slice of cheesy pizza. Or a baguette with butter. We have made some Paleo cookies, Paleo muffins and Paleo pancakes- none of which are half as tasty as a REAL cookie or a REAL muffin or a REAL pancake, but that's OK. Made with coconut flour and/or almond meal, these substitutes are surprisingly satisfying. They taste healthy and take the edge off.

APPLE PALEO MUFFINS

CRANBERRY MACADAMIA NUT PALEO COOKIES

This next bit isn't such a little thing. It's actually a pretty big thing- physically speaking. Taylor got me a Tahoe to haul the kids around in. It's our new family ride. My Honda CRV is now his work car and I am  now officially one of those moms whose parking jobs I used to scoff at when I would see them climbing out of their huge SUVs to unload children and groceries in store parking lots. Taylor had to take me on a driving lesson with this big bitch because I've never driven anything so large and I don't want to screw it up. Parking it is a pain in the ass, but I will perfect it. I'm determined not to become one of those people whose cars I leave Post-It notes on, thanking them for parking like dipshits because they drive gas guzzling hogs. I feel a little guilty for driving a gas guzzling hog- something I never thought I would do- but my husband is so sweet and generous for wanting me to drive something more comfortable and roomy and SAFE for our family. We swore we'd never get a family van. No offense to anyone with a family van, but we decided that just because we are parents now we don't have to give up all of our cool points. And I'm sorry, you lose a lot of cool points when you succumb to the family van. Not that it matters what I think, but I'm suspecting I'm not the only one who feels this way!

BIG BESSY

Jude filled up his "Good Boy" sticker chart yesterday, which means he gets a prize. This is my way of bribing him to be good, use the potty, pick up his toys, practice good manners and eat all of his meals. He will do just about anything for a Cars sticker, and the hopes of an actual Cars car prize has been pretty successful in helping to train him to behave more like a civilized human, and less like a wild baby animal. I remember that this kind of incentive always worked on me as a kid, so I figure why not use it with my kid? I want to show him that he can reap positive benefits in life by staying on the right track. He will learn this lesson someday in high school when a Cars car turns into a real big boy car that he can actually drive.  


Below illustrates yet another day in my day to day life with all things toy cars- this tiny little detail has not only become a huge part of Taylor's and my life, it's become one of our very favorite details. We hardly remember life before these things took over our house, and things just wouldn't be the same if we weren't tripping over them and finding them in shoes, cabinets, toilets, couch cushions, sinks and every other nook and cranny they will fit in. Today we made a "car show." This is where Jude takes all of the cars he can find downstairs and lines them up meticulously across the living room. God forbid the dog run through the room and knock one out of place. All hell breaks loose. Yeah, Jude's a little (a lot) OCD when it comes to stuff like this. He wants things just....SO. Taylor thinks that this will make him good at math and business someday. Maybe. I think that this quirk will just make him a perfectionist who strives for success in all aspects of his life, whatever he chooses to do with it someday. 





He's taken over the baby's nursery. He likes to stand on his step stool while Viv is in her crib, show her a car, then race it off the banister onto the floor. She loves to watch her brother. She's always fascinated by what he does. It's lovely to watch.


Loving life with a little BOY & GIRL