Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cohabitation


I always write about my babies, but today I want to write about my husband. Because he's the most awesome guy that I've ever known and sometimes as a young mother, it's easy to be so enamored with your babies that you forget to brag about the wonderful guy who helped make your babies happen in the first place.

So, in between checking in with NPR, I've been listening to Jack and Ron on KISS FM lately on my drive home from dropping Jude off at school in the mornings. I used to listen to them when I would get ready for work, way back when I was managing Sunglass Hut in Sooner Mall in Norman. I first heard of the first plane that hit the first Tower on 9/11 from Jack and Ron. I picked out work outfits in styles that you couldn't pay me to wear now while listening to Jack and Ron. I nursed too many hangovers while cursing the mall in my head when brushing my teeth in the mornings before work, listening to Jack and Ron. They were part of a soundtrack to an entirely differently existence that was very significant in my young adult life.

But over the years I lost touch with Jack and Ron, replacing them with NPR entirely as I've gotten older.

I've kind of come full circle I guess- needing breaks from the news and NPR. Maybe it's my age, and the country and world's issues weigh heavier on my mind- whereas before I couldn't have really given a half a shit about much beyond what I would be doing after being released from the prison of my full-time job and out into my life as a single 21 year-old. I don't know- but it's nostalgic and kind of refreshing to hear those jackasses voices again. Old familiarity is nice to help keep you feeling ageless.

This morning Jack and Ron were discussing some of the posts that listeners had put on their Facebook page, responding to a cue of, "What makes your marriage successful?" Some of the responses were hilarious. Some were thought-provoking. Some made me gag, they were so cheesy. They collectively made me think about my relationship with Taylor Hines- because how can you hear such things without reflecting on your own situation?

As I was running through some of our strong points (best friends! great team! make each other laugh!) and not so strong points (overkill on the bantering! overkill on the dominant "who's the boss?"issues! arguing about stupid shit!)- I realized that this week being Spring Break and all, marks the 10 year anniversary of our making the abrupt decision to move in together and see what the future would hold for us as a couple.



10 years! It just seems crazy to me. It's as monumental to me as a wedding anniversary, because we lived together for so long as just a co-habitating couple that being married hasn't seemed a whole lot different. Just an extension of what we had already been doing. But with kids and a family house and stuff.

After 3 months of dating, we made the decision to live together. I was 22, he was two months short of turning 21. He still had a fake i.d. I smoked a pack of Dunhill menthol lights a day. He had long hair and earrings. I had a belly button ring and 10 holes punctured in my ears. He was at OU, a year out of graduating with a finance degree (with honors. One of the most admirable things about him, to this day, has always been his big sexy brain). I was managing Sunglass Hut in the mall and was prolonging a return to college to finish my degree.

When you move in with someone at such a young age, during that early-twenty phase in life- you have no idea if it's going to work. But when you are young and in that "OMG I'm so in love!" retarded-over each other, think about you all the time can't get enough of one another, we hardly know one another but we're going to get along and be happy for forever because we are so happy together crazy in love- do you care? Of course not.

The odds are against you in my opinion. You have skeptical parents wondering what in the hell you are thinking- whether they voice their concerns or choose to keep it to themselves, whether their your parents or your girlfriend's/boyfriend's. You have friends in all sorts of different places in their own lives who are skeptical or happy for you or jealous or doubtful or whatever. You have opinions and judgement coming at you from all directions. You have two separate lifestyles that you are accustomed to that suddenly have to fuse and mesh and co-mingle. You know where you'd like to see things go, but who knows if it will really go that way? Especially once you pass the point where your dating "representatives" bow out and the real people move in.

You know, the real people that you are. The ones with faults. The people who either make or break it for you. The people who either make the decision to break up and go separate ways, or stay together for the long haul.

Long haul, right here! (raising my hand!)

I called Taylor when I realized that this Spring Break is our 10-year-move-in-iversary (I love insert-special occasion-iversaries. I make them up all the time for us because it's important to celebrate US!), and told him that moving in with "Iced-T" (the nickname my friends came up with to tease my then-new boyfriend behind his back... which he knows about and thinks is funny... now) is the best thing I ever did.

It was a sweet, make you want to gag it was so cheesy exchange. We don't have those moments often- because we aren't that kind of couple- but when they happen, it's super nice.

We mused briefly over that first Spring Break, when I moved in to the house he shared with his best friend Dustin. How exciting it was to get all my stuff in there. How my then-kitten Niles had to live in our bedroom for the first few months because Dustin was allergic to cats (then shortly after, how Niles just came to be the 4th roommate who went where he wanted... usually straight to Dustin on the couch, of course). How after Taylor and Dustin left that week to go snowboarding in Tahoe, I came home from work to find a dead cat in our driveway and how freaked out I was about it. How my dad had helped me move in, but Taylor had not yet told his parents about us living together because he was scared (which is funny now but at the time hurt my feelings! *sad face*). How I had to get used to sharing my boyfriend with seemingly endless marathon video game sessions. The homie traffic that comes with living with college guys that would run through our household at all hours of the day. How he had to get used to me going out and partying with my friends without him on the often-occasion that he didn't feel like leaving the house. Our first big fight, when we first realized that living together means that fighting while living in the same house means that sometimes someone sleeps in the other room.

I think that living together was great training for being married, to a certain degree of course. For Taylor and I. I can't speak for anyone else. Would I recommend it to my kids, should they come to me someday and say, "Mom! This girl/guy I've been dating for 5 minutes and I are going to move into together!"?

Yes. I would. My parents have always been supportive of me and (most of) my choices in life- without raining their judgement down on me- and that's what I want to do. They've always encouraged me in experiencing life for myself- getting beat up and bruised along the way, paying consequences but also enjoying the benefits and rewards of sticking my neck out and taking risks- allowing me to reap what I choose to sow.

I can only hope that by doing the same, I can help my kids find the same kind of happiness and security and friendship and love that I found with that long-haired, earring-having 20-year old finance major who bumped rap music way too loud in his jacked up Tahoe.