Thursday, July 28, 2011

Put the Rice Down and RUN!

Day 8 of running and it's getting a little easier. A bit addicting actually, which is a relief. I'm not sure if it's the adrenaline high I get from the running after about 15 minutes or so, or the fact that I just have an addictive personality in general. When I find something that makes me feel good, LOOK OUT!

Luckily, I'm finally getting over that slow and difficult climb uphill that is getting into the habit of exercise again. It isn't easy. It's taken about 3 weeks, averaging about 2 really good long one hour sessions on the ol' treadmill each week, to get me over the hump.  It's going to take a lot more than that to get where I want to be though, but I gotta start somewhere.

If I think too much about long term I might get overwhelmed by just how much more its going to take! I'm in no hurry though. If I could go on some extreme diet I might, but since I'm nursing I gotta eat, so I might as well just plod along and do this the healthy way.

Today I ran two 11 minute miles at a 2% incline and walked uphill for the duration of the other 2 miles- all the while keeping a tentative eye on Baby Sumo who was asleep in her swing and praying that my dog wouldn't bark at something (like she does so often just for the hell of it) and wake her up.

Juggling 2 babies leaves even less time for exercise than I had when it was just juggling Jude. When it was just baby Jude, I'd run during his nap. With two, however, it's been damn near impossible- because newborns nap so sporadically. That and for the past few weeks, Jude has taken to temper tantrums and fit throwing, complete with screaming and throwing things, when it's nap time.

I'm finally getting them on a synced schedule though- having learned how to time Baby Sumo's feedings/awake times/natural napping cycle with Jude's nap, as he's winding down with the screaming and actually taking his nap.

And that is the key I think- timing. I'm managing to get them both to nap at the same time in the afternoons which is valuable beyond explanation (all the moms out there I'm sure feel me here!). Both of them snoozing in their beds in their rooms at the same time in the afternoon like clockwork... it's been a challenge to the umpteenth degree, but so worth the work!

This is called the "promised land" for new mothers of two.

Anyways, so now that I've got exercise under control again (for the most part), I just gotta work on this "watching what I eat" thing. I'm struggling to end my love affair with white rice. And cookies (a guilty pleasure that I never had a problem with until I got pregnant. I blame the babies!). I guess it's just in my DNA, but I love me some white rice, unfortunately. Why is it so f*ing good?????

It's hard for me to let it go. I've grown up with it as a staple in my diet, having an Asian mother I guess. It's so cliche, but such an unavoidable reality. White rice as part of my identity? Yeah, I'll accept that. White rice and other empty carbs don't do a whole lot for your figure though. I wish that it did. I wish that eating white rice was equivalent to eating salad, or a bowl of broccoli, or some healthy vegan/vegetarian item, like tofu- all things I do like to eat, but still. They aren't white rice.

I suppose there's that thing called moderation- which hello, for people with addictive personalities, isn't really in the cards. Like I said. If it makes me feel good... Hello, my name is Meika and I'm addicted to white rice.

OK- so, anyways, here are some of my choice songs for my "Put the Rice Down and Run!" Playlist. Each of these songs do wonders at making me feel like kicking ass and releasing some much pent up energy.

A good playlist and a mean tolerance for blasting music in your ears makes all the difference.

"Twilight"    The Raveonettes
"Search and Destroy"   Iggy and the Stooges
"Waterfall"    Coldplay
"Dancing with Myself" & "Take it Off"    The Donnas
"Sweet Disposition"  The Temper Trap
"Baba O'Reilly"  &  "Won't Get Fooled Again"   The Who
"Rock and Roll"    Led Zeppelin
"Young Folks"     Peter Bijorn and John
"Paranoid"   Black Sabbath
"Black and White Town"   Doves
"Girls and Boys"   Blur
"Babylon"   David Gray
"When I Grow Up"    Garbage
"Let There Be Rock"  &  "Whole Lotta Rosie"  ACDC
"Get Together"   Madonna
"Ceremony"  New Order